You are here:

Secondary Survivors

It can be hard to know what to do to help a friend or family member who has experienced interpersonal violence.  Here are a couple of considerations and a few resources that may help provide a better understanding about what you can do that will be helpful to your loved-one.  

What should I do if I know someone who needs help?

  1. Believe the survivor. It isn’t your job to investigate the crime.
  2. Listen to the survivor. Let the survivor talk and tell the story how they wish to tell it. Don't ask for any details that the survivor doesn't offer on their own. You don't need to know anything that they don't want to share. 
  3. Ask what you can do to support them. Tell them about our office and offer to help them access our services. We can make sure the survivor knows what services, resources, and options are available to support their healing. If they are not ready to seek professional support just yet, that's entirely okay. Let them know that they should be able to decide when they are ready for professional support and that you will be available to support them if and when that time comes.
  4. If you are a University of Utah employee, you are required to report to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action. Call 801-581-8365 and let them know what has been disclosed to you. They will then ensure that the person who experienced the interpersonal violence has access to their rights and resources.



Quick exit
Click here to leave page quickly.
Last Updated: 9/14/18