You are here:

How to Help a Friend

It can be hard to know what to do to help a friend or family member who has been sexually assaulted or raped.  Here are a couple of links that will help you to get a better understanding about what you can do or say that will be helpful (or not helpful) to your loved-one.  Also included are suggestions about how to care for yourself as this will undoubtedly cause you some trauma as well.

What should I do if I know someone who needs help?

  1. Believe the survivor. It isn’t your job to investigate the crime.
  2. Listen to the survivor. Let the survivor talk and tell the story. Ask what you can do to be supportive at this difficult time.
  3. Refer the survivor to the campus victim advocates. We can make sure the survivor knows exactly what resources and options are available to help after experiencing gender-based violence.
  4. If you are a University of Utah employee, you are required to report to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action.


Quick exit
Click here to leave page quickly.
Last Updated: 3/13/17